Thread: Great!
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakatak View Post
I know this is a common disorder, but what are you doing about the problem? Has surgery been suggested to you? And....have you even considered surgery.?
Yes, surgery was suggested 4 years ago when my MRI showed moderate bilateral stenosis. The NS told me that I'd need the fusion in 2-4 years (4 years is coming up in October). If an observate physiatrist hadn't observed that I didn't like moving my shoulder and didn't like people touching the shoulder leading him to suspect an undiagnosed shoulder injury, I likely would have undergone the surgery a two years ago as I'd flared the neck so bad (lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks due to the pain and pain meds). The pain was horrible. I saw a physiatrist who suggested trying cortisone shots into the neck. Once the neck settled down, it was quite obvious that the shoulder was driving my neck flares. I couldn't hold even paper in my hand without causing the shoulder to flare which caused the neck to flare.

The neck is still a problem and the symptoms are worsening but I can manage right now with acupuncture and massage. I know the surgery is lurking out there. I'm hoping to get another year or two (preferably two+) before I have to consider it. If I go through another flare like I did two years ago and conservative treatment (cortisone shots, acupuncture, etc) doesn't work, then I'll consider the surgery.

A friend of mine had a two level fusion last fall. She's back to being able to drive and considering returning to work. She had to give up working and driving 5+ years ago. For some reason, a neck MRI wasn't done on her until last year showing how bad off her neck was. So, surgery does help relieve the symptoms.
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote