View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Dear Julie,

I taught H.S. and middle school briefly 25 years ago, so I am not informed exactly. I do remember that in the schools where I worked the administrators were hesitant to agree to parental requests. The administrators were however willing to do what they had to follow of the letter of the law.

A few years ago we did have a mother posting on these boards about her two sons and two adopted daughters with varying ranges of bipolar / adhd.
Because of her children, she learned how to deal with the schools and eventually got training to help parents deal with the schools. She moved on from here. The last we heard from her, the children were successful in school.

Here is a link about the difference between an IEP and a 504:
http://www.wrightslaw.com/howey/504.idea.htm
The 503 plan does not need to be written whereas the IEP does.

Quote:
Cons of the 504 Plan:

Schools sometimes do not take the accommodations as seriously and reminders are often necessary (even though this should not be the case.)
There are less services available through a 504 Plan.
The 504 Plan may not be as detailed as the IEP.

When is an IEP is the better option?:

An IEP is a better option for students with a disability that is adversely impacting education. Students who need more than just accommodations to regular education would need an IEP. Eligibility in Special Education opens the door to a variety of services.

Cons to the IEP:
Unfortunately, it is more stigmatizing than the 504 Plan.
The process to determine eligibility for an IEP can be very long.

I hope this helps. Your advocate will be well informed and will know how your local school functions.

M.