Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
Your child has bipolar disease, not a schizophrenic or a harm to himself or tohers right? So their choice seems way off base in my opinion.
ok, wait wait wait.

most schizophrenics, under most conditions, are not harmful to themselves or others. psychosis and violent behavior / threat of harm to self or others can present in schizophrenic or bipolar patients, under certain conditions - especially if there is psychosis or paranoia, both of which can occur in either disorder. in all fairness, however, even people who are not psychiatric patients, under certain conditions may be harmful to themselves or others.

that is the bottom line - whether a child poses any risk to his welfare of that or others, or whether there are reasonable grounds to believe that is the case, based on a childs behavior at a given time. it doesn't matter what the cause is for behavior, or whether there is illness or not.

i can't see where running away or screaming could constitute a need for protective confinement!

if the child was confined for any other reason than reasonably warranted protection, it was inappropriate and then, i agree that the authorities could be called in. but i would not get the authorities involved without first ascertaining what specific behavior led the school personnel to confine him, because that could backfire bigtime.

i really see a need for a professional advocate here, to help figure out what's what, and especially to make sure the right things get said - to the right people - in the right way.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-08-2010), Dmom3005 (06-08-2010), SandyC (06-08-2010)