View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile It'll be okay...

Hi

I'm a long-time suffering from TOS too. Never had surgery. It was recommended I have bilateral with scalenectomy -- and now I know I'm pectoralis, on both side, are involved. I thank God I'm no longer a surgical candidate at this time, but I still know TOS is with me. It hasn't been easy. I know 12 years must have been terribly frustrating. You're a trooper.

Now that you've made the decision to go forward with surgery, after such a long time, I'm sure you've covered your bases.

Jo*mar is right about the driving and drugs. Try to arrange for a driver for a while, at least.

It is fortunate you have an understanding boss. You must be a valuable employee. You've earned that title.

Remember, this is your one shot to have a good recovery, so don't push it just because you said presurgery you would do something. Listen to your body and your surgeon. Surgeons don't want a failed result either.

Maybe work from home might be an option to consider. I do work at home after TOS, and I took liberty to get in a 45 degree angle with my back and upper body. Actually, I didn't have a choice back in those days. I had to lay down, even if it was on the hard floor with coats, balloons, a roll of paper towels worked pretty good after I stomped on them to get them to the right shape, and whatever I could get for props.

(The stomping was therapy too )

Make sure your post PT or other medical providers in your area are qualified to do post cervical rib resection patients.

Have a backup plan and good, understanding aftercare at home ready for your needs. Do ask them for what you need instead of trying to be superwoman. Take care of yourself for the long haul. You must if you go through with surgery.

I did talk to a post surgerical rib resection person for a while and she said she thought she could have gone back to work by the 3rd week, with some limited duties. She didn't, but she THOUGHT she could. I think I can do a lot of things and and I actually can, but boy do I pay. It's a promising bad time to follow if I overdo myself.

We do wish you the best and we will be praying for you. May you recover Godspeed. Lots of people do have success with surgery.

I would be scared before surgery, actually any surgery these days, so we can truely understand any anxious emotions you are going through.

No question or comment is too silly. If you want to know something, ask and someone will respond that has been through the surgery. I know they will. So just take it one day at a time and think positive. Get your body in a better condtion, in good shape mentally and physically as much as you can. You can handle this.

We're here for you...

Last edited by (Broken Wings); 06-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (06-08-2010)