View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The Qutenza patch, which started my research on the benefits of Capsicin is new, but not very practical or reasonable in price, hence the review of the other OTC Capsicin products available...

What is also interesting is that, besides arthritis pain, Zostrix is now targeting sufferers of Peripheral Neuropathy and these are now providing interesting testimonials...

Having read most of the opinions available on the Internet on the use of Capsicin, I have come to the conclusions that:

Many people do not pay attention to the instructions and are surprised by the intensity of the burning: unless they have an allergy, it's usually their mistake and/or their pain level just doesn't warrant using Capsicin...

However, Capsicin as a nerve de-sensitizer will be really helpful - as far as I can tell from my own experience - if the following conditions are met:

- Serious ongoing neuropathic pain that would normally require taking some debilitating pain relievers, such as Lyrica, opioids, etc...

- Intelligent use of the various strengths of product, starting with the lower concentration of Capsicin of 0.025% and working up through 0.075, to 0.1%...

- Repeated applications at least twice a day until the 'P' substance facilitating neuro-transmission has been mostly depleted and the burning sensation is mostly gone...

- Scrupulous observance of a few basic rules: apply with gloves, do not cover/wrap the area, do not subject to heat or get wet, do not spread accidentally to other areas of the body, etc...

To dismiss Capsicin summarily because one had a bad experience or an allergic reaction may deprive those who could benefit from its careful use from a very useful tool, once it modus operandi is understood...

In conclusion, I should add that Capsicin is going to be BIG BUSINESS, as the rights for Europe to Qutenza have been bought by Astellas for a cool $42 million, plus royalties in the double digits on net sales:

Astellas will commercialize Qutenza in the above-mentioned territories and perform certain development of Qutenza including post-marketing commitments, to support Qutenza in the EU market. NeurogesX will receive EUR 30 million (approximately $42 million) for Qutenza commercialization rights, and EUR 5 million (approximately $7 million) for a license option of NGX-1998, the next-generation liquid formulation which uses the same active ingredient as Qutenza.

http://ngsx.client.shareholder.com/r...leaseID=391009

No Pharmaceutical company will pay this sort of money, unless it's confident the product has an excellent future!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Capsaicin is not a new product. It has been available for about a decade. It never caught on in a major way for shingles pain.

Zostrix was the first product aside from herbal suppliers. It was detailed to doctors, who prescribed it. But I can tell you personally that the product, even when on the shelf where customers can buy it easily is not really popular.

The reason is that it takes 2 or more weeks to start working, if it works at all. Most people cannot stand the severe burning it causes for those 2 weeks.

I am not surprised that Qutenza is highly restricted. Misuse of this ultra strong version could do substantial damage to tissue.
It is 100 times stronger than any topical product available today. Also one patch= $675 !! Better make sure it goes on the correct spot!

You know many products have pepper extract in them. And the makers know that people will not buy it if it is listed clearly in the ingredients! They use the Latin name for it to conceal its real identity, hoping people will buy it out of desperation as another potential useful remedy!
It can appear in ingredient lists as C. chinense, or C. annuum for example. Capsicum is a nightshade vegetable, and many people are intolerant of nightshades. They may create a serious allergic reaction.

http://www.helium.com/items/303428-a...u-need-to-know

I hope you can derive some benefit from capsicum products, but be very vigilant for adverse effects over time. There are many more people who cannot stand this treatment, than like it.
Seagem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote