View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Meralgia Paresthetica

Hi all, newbie here.
I stumbled onto this site and a thread by mrsB on Lidoderm patch placement(can't post the link with less than 10 posts), while Internet searching for info on Meralgia Paresthetica, and possible treatments such as Lidoderm patches. (Thanks mrsD, that thread is most informative).

A little background on my condition:
I had problems with my right leg for at least 10 years.
Initially thought to be a probable case of sciatica, a full pelvic X-ray 2 years ago revealed the true problem to be a very advanced case of osteo arthritis in the right hip. The ultimate solution occured on April 13 this year with a total hip replacement.

While my new hip works like a million bucks, the surgery has left me with bi-lateral MP. This first evidenced itself about a week post-op with the cessation of Lyrica/Celebrex combo therapy, which apparantly is part of the program given to joint replacement patients at the place I had this done.
At it's worst, I've awaken in the morning to level 10 pain - severe stabbing pain in the thighs, bad enough to make me shout out involuntarily. This has happened only a few times though, and not happened since I started sleeping in a recliner rather than a bed.
Most of the time it feels like I have abrasions on the top of my thighs, or put another way - like the inside of my pants are lined with sandpaper, I would deem level 2 -4 pain, which is bearable but annoying.

I am considering trying the Lidoderm patches and found the tips in mrsD's thread to be very informative.
I have a question though - in reading product info on Lidoderm it lists beta-blockers ( I take 5 mg Atenolol 1 X Day) as a possible concern - does not seem to forbid using both but states must use caution. If anyone reading this uses both a beta-blocker and lidoderm patches, I would like to hear of your experiences.
DPJACO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote