View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Lidocaine can affect the heart. Since beta blockers slow the heart down, this may be more of a concern for those patients.

I think you should discuss this with your doctor who prescribed the beta blocker. If you take the beta blocker for blood pressure, then switching to an ACE inhibitor might be an option.

Your doctor may recommend using 1/2 patch to start. To see if you tolerate it. I certainly myself would not use the max of 3, as suggested. I've never used more than one at a time.

MP pain can be horrific... stabbing intense, etc. I never had sandpaper sensations, I had a feeling of water running down my thigh instead. Mostly numb alternating with sharp pain, later.

I wonder why you have MP in both hips. Did the surgeon offer any clues?

My MP rarely affected me at night. Extending the leg, walking, would trigger it. Bikes would trigger it. Heat would trigger it. etc. Standing at work was very difficult at times.

Alot of things can happen to people during surgery. Sometimes nerves get compressed by the position they put you in. I think having the MP in the non-surgical hip is odd. Did you have a spinal for your anesthesia? This might be traceable to that part of the procedure.

I am heartened that my post brought you here. I hope it helps others the same way.

You won't know if Lidoderms will work for you unless you try them. But discuss it carefully with your doctor first. I know they have "saved" me great discomfort. I had that MP for almost 20 yrs, and the last 5 of them were horrific (as it got worse and worse). I still have it, but it has been quiet for a while now. Every once in a while when I get in the car, and stretch that leg, I get a twinge, but it does not last, thank goodness.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 06-09-2010 at 03:39 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote