Thread: my concussion
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The value of the EEG is to see if they can pinpoint any seizure activity in your brain. If they are sending it out for review, I wonder if it was a standard EEG or a qEEG. A quantified EEG uses more electrodes to map your brain for dysfunctional wave forms, not seizures. It can show brain dysfunctions that a normal EEG will not show.

The neuro-psych by Roseville does qEEG work and analysis.

The 'no driving' is a legal requirement. You need to be seizure free for six months to get your driving privileges back. You seizure history at the injury are enough to cause this loss of driving privileges.

There is an axiom about most neurologists. They are good at diagnosing tumors and seizures since both can be imaged with tests. The things that are not imagable, they usually have very little understanding.

You need to be looking at your lifetime, not your next drive down the road to 7-11. A seizure while driving can result in a six year jail sentence plus the memories of what you did to some other family. It is called vehicular manslaughter. Your awareness of your past seizure puts the burden on both you and the doctors.

I know what this is all about. I had seizures during high school. I had to wait 6 months to get my drivers license. Medication kept me seizure free.

I do not drive now, except in rare situations on very low trafficked roads. I do not drive highway speeds ever. My limit is about 35 mph. Faster than that can overwhelm my brain and cause me to space out. I have driven very little since May of 2001. My injury was Jan 16, 2001. I quietly deferred driving to my wife most of the time. My excuse was she like driving the BMW.

In May, she was following me on the highway from Winnemucca to Reno. She finally has enough of watching me wander across the road. She pulled me over and took over with my daughter driving her car. I 'fessed up to her a few days later as she was going to see the neuro with me.

It is tough not driving but the risk is not worth it.

<Mandatory Physician Reporting
There is a state reporting law for disorders causing possibly recurrent loss or lapse of consciousness, effective since 1939 but amended in 1988 to include Alzheimer’s-related dementia as a reportable condition. California Health and Safety Code Section 103900 mandates that physicians report patients over age 13 with these disorders to local health officers, who in turn transmit the reports (Confidential Morbidity Reports, or CMRs) to DMV.>

You can find this whole report at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/profile/...herFactors.pdf

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote