View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Weaning off of Cymbalta...Yikes!!

I was started on Cymbalta on 4/9/10 for neuropathic pain. (I have peripheral polyneuropathy) Due to the fact that Cymbalta made my fine motor tremors worse, my neuro decided to wean me off of the Cymbalta together. According to him, Cymbalta can aggravate fine motor tremors causing them to become worse. I was on Cymbalta 60mg per day so the plan was to go to 30mg a day x 7 days then 30 mg every other day for 3 doses and then stop. Followed doctor's orders to the letter!! Last dose was 6/4/10. Well, yesterday I woke up feeling ok. Had my morning coffee and jumped in the shower. What happens after that.......is anybody's guess. In the shower I started crying, which quickly turned into sobbing. Every square inch of my body was in pain. I was nauseous, shaky and my head kept jerking to the left. I could not pull myself together. I finally went to the local ER because of the pain and migraine. BP upon arrival was 157/92. WAY too high for me. Probably due to the pain. I was assessed by the doctor (in between bouts of sobbing and curling up into a ball because of the pain). He eventually ordered Ativan 2 mg and Toradol 30 mg po. The ativan helped calm me down but the Toradol, not so much help. They called my husband, who was 135 miles away working, to come to the hospital. After the toradol, they gave me 1 mg of Dilaudid SQ. They also had me talk to a social worker. At first I was kind of insulted. But let me tell you, that lady was a god send. She gave me a new twist on the way I could think about things, different coping skills and assured me that it was OK to allow myself to have bad days. Today I have a little bit of a lingering headache but things are much better. I for one will never take this medication again. Not saying that it doesn't serve a purpose, just not for me.
kpRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote