Thread: my concussion
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

adamphillips,

I will just give you a little history, but won't go into a long story. I had my first seizure in December of 2008. I was taken to the hospital. I had a CT scan and while waiting for results had another seizure, but the bed railing was down and I fell off of the bed and landed on my head. I ended up with a concussion, broken nose, two black eyes, etc. They put me on anti-seizure medication right away and I am still on them even though they haven't been able to tell me why I had the seizures. I was hoping it was just a "freak" thing, but while switching from one anti-seizure med to another, I had a break through seizure. They are not calling it epilepsy, just a seizure disorder I guess. I did have an EEG while in the hospital, but the results were inconclusive. The neuro on-call at the hospital said they saw abnormal brain waves and then when I went to see the neurologist that was assigned to me, she said that they were sleep waves. They never told me to stay awake during the EEG, so of course there were going to be sleep waves. I had a concussion and suffered 2 seizures. In Wisconsin, you can't drive for 3 months following a seizure. The first was during the dead of winter which got old fast and the next was in the spring/summer. I was really nervous to be driving again when I could. I was okay when it was just me, but when I had my kids with me it was really frightening. Seizures are nothing to fool around with. They told me that the only way to say for certain what was going on was to do a video EEG where they wean you from meds until they induce a seizure and then report the brain wave activities. If I would have had more than the 3 seizures that I have, I would think about it, but I am tolerating my meds fine and I don't want to lose my license again.
sheds is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote