View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Insurance Nightmare at worst possible time!

I'm in quite a situation - My employer is changing our health insurance, and ALL 4 choices they are offering all excluded rsd for treatment or exclude chronic pain conditions for treatment!!!

Oddly enough, about 4 months ago they had us do a mandatory survey about our health, confidential of course, asking very specific info about any diagnosis or medication we were on or had received, and other health related info, in order for them to "shop" out some health insurance companies. I'm almost certain that they used this info, and when the prospective insurance carriers saw rsd/crps they told them it would be $$$$$$ for any policy, so they decided to get policies that would exclude any treatments.

I'ts really messed up, I've talked to the Oregon Insurance Commision, and if the policy's were out of Oregon, they'd be illegal because group policy's here can't have those kind of exclusions, but my coprorate office is in CA, and that's where the policies were purchased, and I guess it's legal there. I'm in the process of hiring a lawyer, the first one I called just happened to have a mother who has rsd in her shoulder, so I figured that was a sign. She said because they did the survey first I have a case for discrimination against them as they can't ask you what your medical conditions are and then shop for insurance like that. But in the meantime, my coverage runs out at the end of June. No one is gonna give me an individual policy, at least not one I can afford. My only even semi viable option is a quickie wedding to my fiancee so I can get on his insurance, but he is just recovering from getting out of the hospital from having serveral surgeries himself from compartment syndrome on his leg and almost losing his foot.

I'm not sure I really have a question . . . I guess I'm looking for ideas. I know I won't qualify for any insurance/government options because I have income and a job and am offered group coverage even though it excludes me, but it seems like there has to be something out there, right? I've called everything I can think of . . . . .
hollyk24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote