View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Do anti-depressants like Cymbalta permanently alter one's personality?

I've been prescribed cymbalta to help treat a nerve pain disorder (RSD). I also suffer a bit from anxiety and depression, but thats not the main reason I'm taking it. Anyway, I was wondering how much permanent effect this has on one's personality.

I don't mind a temporary effect, in fact it might be helpful, but I'm not sure whether I want any permanent changes- I'm rather attached to my present personality, in spite of its flaws. Or rather, I prefer that any changes take place the *natural way*- I had been having some success ironing out those flaws before the latest calamity.

I especially don't want anything that will effect my creativity or deaden my emotions excessively. And I'm pretty sure that some of my positive and negative qualities are connected in ways I'm a little uneasy about messing with. For example, I'm pretty sure my obsessive tendencies are related to my anxiety, but also make me more creative and perfectionist. And my overly strong emotions and sensitivity bring me a lot of trouble, but they also bring me lots of good things and make me who I am.

So basically, I don't mind it having temporary effects, I just want to be able to turn it all off if I decide I don't like it

Anyway, thoughts?
WolfLarsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote