Thread: my concussion
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

sheds and adamphillip,

The biggest concern I have about driving is the other car or cars. If there was a way to make sure that a seizure or loss of focus caused accident would not involve another vehicle, I would be more willing to take the risks.

Being concerned for your kids is understandable, but think of what your family would have to live with if their Dad/Husband hit another family head on and killed the whole family.

I still do some driving in low traffic conditions only on my good days. I used to have an antique car, a 1926 Chevrolet Suburban Woodie, that only went 35 mph. It was talk and very noticeable so others were very aware of me in traffic. It was only 1500 pounds so it would not do much damage to another vehicle.

I stopped driving it four years ago after having an accident with a circular saw. I had no recollection of how I cut my finger off. I decided that these minor losses of awareness were to risky.

So, please, consider the other cars and pedestrians before you take any risks. If meds work, great.

btw, I have a brain injured friend who was hit in a crosswalk by an inattentive driver on 10/16/1990. He used to be able to run a mile in 4:03. He ran half marathons at championship levels. He climbed the peak next to the Eiger. Now, he is limited to competing on an adaptive bicycle in the Para-Olympics. Visit a brain injury support group and see the people who were hit by drivers who were impaired or inattentive.

I was tested by the rehab driving instructor and she cleared me to drive. She had no idea what was happening in my head. Think white knuckles.

adamphillip, There is a driving rehab clinic in Walnut Creek. When I talked to them, they said that my neuro-psych assessment scores would be cause for license suspension.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote