View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Experiment with Capsaicin 0.075% cream used over a 3.5% Menthol application:

Following the success of the Salonpas Capsaicin/Menthol patch used yesterday - where the Menthol prevented the Capsaicin from imparting a burning sensation - both feet are still mostly pain free (1 to 2 level), except for an area not covered by the patch...

Following Mrs D's suggestion concerning Menthol, I have now applied a 3.5% Menthol solution called Biofreeze, both by means of a spray on one part of the left foot and with a roll-on applicator on the other part to test both type of applications, as the roll-on solution appears much thicker...

I have waited some 45 minutes for the Menthol solution to completely dry, before coating over the Menthol with the 0.075% Capsaisin cream and this should hopefully reduce or even prevent the burning sensation experienced by many as the main drawback of Capsaicin, while leaving intact its ability to desensitize the nerve receptors...

Here is the post by Pete on treating the pain symptoms caused by Peripheral Neuropathy with Zostrix, a cream made with 0.075% Capsaicin...

I'm new to the forum but will post this reply for what it's worth.

I have suffered from a Peripheral neuropathy for years and use to have that burning feeling on the tops of my feet, especially in hot weather and more especially after taking a walk. My regular physician told me to use Zostrix Cream (over the counter medication). He said it would take several days to start working but should, in my case, relieve the burning sensation and it did. I know apply enough to the tops of my feet once a day to cover (not too much) and for the past 10+ years I've been pretty much pain free from burning feet. Other than that I get pains in my feet and lower legs (that irritating feeling one gets) that sometimes keeps me from being able to get to sleep at night. I guess my doc knew I wasn't the type of person to take advantage of a medication and so prescribed Percocet. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, only when needed, about 1/2 to 1 hour before bedtime and am able to get to sleep without any problems. I realize this medication isn't for everyone as it’s a narcotic but in my case it certainly helps and I'm very careful to use this drug in moderation.

I do hope your doctor can prescribe something that may give you some relief; I do know how one can suffer from nerve pain, no fun at all!

Best of luck!

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread122507.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagem View Post
That was exactly my thinking as well, since the Menthol in the Salonpas patches clearly removes the sting without diminishing the effects of the Capsaicin...

Likewise, Qutenza specifies the use of Lindocaine first to lessen the burning sensation before applying the high Capsaicin concentration...

Those who complain about the burning of the Capsaicin, which is the main problem encountered, might well benefit by applying some menthol based cream first...

The one problem with the patch, I am finding out now, is that the areas not covered yesterday are now causing pain and it's really hard to cover the entire foot with patches...

I'll continue experimenting with both patches and Capsaicin cream, as another poster with PN has reported here some good results with Zostrix over a 10 years period...
Seagem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote