Default Check the stickies section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann-elizabeth View Post

Fish Oil 2 softgels
omega 3 oils 1070 mg
EPA 400
DHA 200
Flaxseed 1000 mg
Generally, it looks like you're on the right track. Thanks for sharing with us.

There are several posts on the subject. Mine is on page 2, part 2 of a three part post at http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...p?t=177&page=2, toward the bottom of the page.

It's unclear to me if you're taking three caps a day of fish oil, or that amount divided into three portions. If three a day, plus flaxseed oil, that's a lot of omega 3 oil, probably more than your body needs. A possible negative side effect would be excessive bleeding.

Instead of flaxseed oil, I prefer ground flaxseed. It tastes delicious on cereal, salads, pasta, soups, yogurt, etc. The whole flaxseed has everything else that seeds have that is good for you besides the oil. It is very high fiber, binding to the cholesterol in your liver bile. This reduces reabsorption of the cholesterol into your bloodstream, thus helping to lower blood cholesterol levels.

The same applies to fish vrs. fish oil. The whole fish is good for you besides the oil. Several studies have been reported on recently that people who eat fish three times a week live longer and are much healthier than people who aren't fish eaters. That being said, I think fish oil is a miracle supplement. We recently put down two large 17 year old dogs. They had minimal arthritis, and were healthy until the final weeks of their lives. The same applies to our 14 year old 60 lb. dog. Besides feeding them quality food, we supplement each meal with one fish oil capsule and some powdered glucosamine/chondroiten. They look(ed) much younger than their age. I think that in general, what's good for them is good for us and visa versa if we take into account the differences (e.g., onion is poisonous to dogs).

Last edited by Wing42; 02-02-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Wing42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote