View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Teresa, Well, 120 mg. is often not prescribed for MG patients, especially for the newly diagnosed. I'm not surprised you had overdose symptoms. 100 mg. is often the max. Why? With a loss of receptors, too much acetylcholine can flood the neuromuscular junction. Does that make sense?

I'm surprised your neuro let you experiment like that.

I hate when doctors use words like "slightly" when they refer to tests done. The labs don't. They either say high or abnormal. Do you have your test results?

Tensilon is used only for the Tensilon test. It is a short-acting drug used to see if obvious weakness, such as ptosis, will improve. They will often do the test in a "double-blind" fashion, which means that both the doctor administering the test and the patient do not know if it is saline or Tensilon being given and when. They will often test your strength (i.e., neck muscles) before the drug is given, during the time the drug is in effect and after the drug wears off.

They can administer anywhere from 2 - 10 mg. of the drug. Side effects vary, including things like bradycardia. They often do the test in a hospital setting these days.

I hope the test goes well.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote