View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I cannot find a definitive answer to your question.

It might be a function of the insulin you take. I think only an experienced endo could answer it.

Try not using your insulin for a day or two, and don't change anything else. Take your sugar readings. Skip lunch during this trial and see if you have the elevated reading. Lantus is a basal insulin and does not react to food very much. It may be lowering your sugars when you skip food enough to trigger a hypoglycemic warning and then the liver kicks in.

Since you are on such a low dose, one day is not going to harm you. I suspect your body is signaling a low sugar reading, sometime during the period of the skipped meal, and then your liver is pumping out glucose to correct it, and it overshoots.
Cortisol is the hormone which can raise blood sugar. The body also senses "stress" and puts out this hormone and elevated sugar is the result. Some people are born with normally high responses of cortisol (this is controlled by the adrenal gland and/or pituitary). Elevated cortisol can be tested for.
You have stated in the past that you become upset about your son's behavior. This could be working on you unconsciously during your day, putting you into a "stress mode" and consequently raising your glucose levels.

I have read that the body will tend to raise blood sugar when it gets low and slight rises or "overcompensation", are to be expected since it is not a perfect system.
The concept is that slight elevations do not harm you, but very low levels deprive the brain and other organs, and IS harmful, so the body tends to make slightly more glucose than you need.

You know there is a drug now for type II diabetes that is a low dose of an old drug not previously used for diabetes ~bromocriptine: It addresses issues separate from the pancreas.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con.../1154.abstract

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20090...loset-approved

Research has also found that melatonin levels affect blood sugar too.

So there are many new avenues coming forward to help diabetics besides insulin.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-21-2010)