View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Abnormal sensitivity is a symptom associated with MG in the studies I found, as was depressed or absent middle ear reflexes. Also, middle ear pressures are often negative. Mg patients also have an increased threshold and early decay of the stapedius reflex.

My audiologist who has been just wonderful over the last 3 years, is doing some research on the topic and I'll let you all know what I find out. So far I have all of the above issues except negative ear pressures which are "often found."

My hearing is too far gone to have this part tested but the transient evoked otoacoustic emissions are very low in MG patients too. It is nice to think we could have one test that is painless that may help us out!

I was really interested in the possibility of diagnosing MG from the standpoint of the ear but I guess there are many other issues that can cause some of these things. When you add them up though, I guess the pattern has to mean something though, wouldn't you hope? I know I do. . .

Desert flower: I hate to tell you this but what you are describing is called the cocktail party phenomena: where you are having trouble hearing one conversation over another. That was my first symptom that something was wrong with my hearing. It is much easier to focus on a one on one conversation with no outside influences. This is a symptom of hearing loss. . .you may want to get a screening.

debra
art chick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (06-14-2010)