View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I guess I will call this -The other side - as I wish to bring up the worries warnings and situations I have found others in and what I have "seen"
( threw written word and phone not in person) what I have seen others have to go threw.

First I would say Big worry about Neuro Stim / PNS surgery is INFECTIONS

right after surgery at the implant sites where the leads and battery are, It is important to keep these areas clean covered and dry follow all instructions by the reps and your Doc. Also staying healthy and fending off the flu and cold any sinus infection is VERY important! I know of others who have gotten infection and it travels towards leads and such causing the whole Stim leads and all to be removed to prevent any further risk of health and also risk to the unit itself. after the infection was cleared up they have had re-implant of Neuro stim / PNS and are doing GREAT!

I have a friend who is awaiting her re implant and damn it is hard this waiting and this whole extra weight of the infection , Trust me if you can avoid it DO IT AT ALL COST. It is NOT Fun to go threw what I have seen others go threw.besides the pain this includes having IV feed anti biotic every few hours all day and night .Yet at same time it is so very awesome when at last the re-implant is a go and they find the light again get some of their life back.

Another Big worry / risk is lead migration or lead dislodgement .Just like it sounds the leads moving or slipping out of the placement area. .Most times they can go in and readjust the lead and secure them . other times this is not possible as doing this may cause more damage. It depends on the situation, the person and where the lead has been placed and where it migrated to. etc.
I myself now worry about tasers and such .not that I am in trouble or am in situation where I would get tased by anyone.. but it is just something I DO NOT want to happen.
I have no trouble flying I have a card that states I have a medical implanted device I show when I need to go threw metal decors and security. flying has never caused me any issues as far as pressure ..I have the normal ear pop thing but it is noting different then a normal person deals with chewing gum and yawning help. I take Aspirin as I do get head aches with pressure change from flying..driving in the mountains and always pressure change with the weather.
I dont like to be outside when lighting storms are passing but most of us have been taught by good ol mom not to play in thunder storms.lol

also I can NOT have an MRI

here are a couple other warning for the neuro stim/PNS That I got when I had my device implanted.

Warning -- Sources of strong electromagnetic interference (eg, defibrillation, diathermy, electrocautery, MRI, RF ablation, and therapeutic ultrasound) can interact with the neurostimulation system, resulting in serious patient injury or death. These and other sources of EMI can also result in system damage, operational changes to the neurostimulator or unexpected changes in stimulation. Rupture or piercing of the neurostimulator can result in severe burns. An implanted cardiac device (eg, pacemaker, defibrillator) may damage a neurostimulator, and the electrical pulses from the neurostimulator may result in an inappropriate response of the cardiac device.

. Patients should not scuba dive below 10 meters of water or enter hyperbaric chambers above 2.0 atmosphere absolute (ATA). Electromagnetic interference, postural changes, and other activities may cause shocking or jolting.

so these are some of the risks and worries or... "The other side of things" .

Every surgery has risks I wanted to mention some here because in reality it is not always lolly pops and sugar drops . some have had the trail and it didn't help them for what ever reason and while they are sitting there they have to look at me and others like me who have had success with this . I look back and will NEVER FORGET them I have to show both sides. because that is the way things really are. I myself have never had any issue with infection or any problem with my Neuro stim / PNS .

PEACE

BMW

Last edited by Burntmarshmallow; 06-13-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (06-13-2010), Rrae (06-13-2010)