Thread: Masking pain ?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
OMG i am SO GLAD you did NOT do the sympathectomy!! I am appauled that that Dr even SUGGESTED that as a first line of therapy!!
I became desperate enuf and checked into getting that done because of the constant burning leg pain. To me it boiled down to either that or a 12-guage shot to both legs!! Thank God my Dr talked me outta that as well.
That is a definate 'Grande Finale'...there is no turning back once you cut that nerve chain. And in most cases (Per my Dr) pain ends up coming back anyway (as in phantom pain or otherwise).......
Soooooo glad you didn't do that

Thanks for all your great input
I too am sickened that your Dr. would even think of a sympathectomy as a first line of treatment. I was Diagnosed with RSD in 1986, first was PT and some other noninvasive treatment, then it was hundreds of different blocks, 2 trips to Philly from FL. to see Dr. Schwartzman and then back here for 5 day continuous blocks using sufentyl this was pre Ketamine.The continuous 5 day blocks seemed to work the best for me , but they did not hold. My neurologist,Ortho surgeon, anesthesiologist contacted Dr. Swartzman and they all decided that the best course would be sympathectomies. I had 3 out of my 4 limbs done. BIG mistake, The pain does not go away it lessons but you still have to take meds and you still feel like crap. About 10 years a was told that the sympathetic chain grows back. Well I am proof that this is true the pain comes worse than prior to the surgeries.I think that most of the Dr.s would know that this is not a good treatment for RSD, maybe it is used for other reasons. Please check about other treatments, but I personally would say no to a sympathectomy. Good Luck with your treatments my prayers are with you!
Wendy
wswells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote