View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Zakria,

I'm a bit confused by your posts. I thought you had an extraction and that you've had pain ever since? I also thought you had a similar problem on the other side with an abcessed tooth and was avoiding getting it pulled...??

It is never healthy to keep an infected tooth in the mouth. The only sure way to get rid of the infection is to remove the entire tooth. Typically, a molar extraction is done by using a drill to cut off the crown portion of the tooth (that's the part of the tooth above the gumline) and then use the same drill to section the roots of the tooth. Doing it that way helps to prevent the tooth from fracturing as each root is pulled out. Sometimes the tooth is very brittle, especially if it has had a root canal treatment, and this makes the tooth more likely to fracture during the extraction. Either way, there is no healthy alternative to treating an infected tooth but to remove it.

Have you talked with your dentist about the pain you are having on your other side? What did he say?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakria View Post
Hi again Bryanna,

my dentists all advised extraction as soon as possible, but as you know of my pain condition I feel very very reluctant. So I was wondering if there are any alternatives to extraction. The crown can (at a risk of tooth fracture) be re-rooted, but the post is fairly large hence the risk of fracture.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote