View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's possible that your husband will feel MUCH better on a gluten-free diet. If a person has Celiac Disease (or just a gluten sensitivity) they are at a higher risk of developing another auto-immune disease. It is possible that his MG will get better on a GF diet as well. Please know that if your husband has CD, he will have to follow a GF diet FOR LIFE - and there is no such thing as "gluten lite". He CANNOT intentionally eat ANY gluten ever again (there will be accidental "glutenings" - it happens to everyone on a GF diet.....).

If you haven't already, I urge you to visit www.celiac.com - that website is a treasure trove of information on CD. You may also want to see if you have a GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) in your area. It has become much easier to find GF foods not only in the grocery store, but also at many national restaurants.

Celiac Disease is a genetically-linked disease, so if you have children, you will need to have them screened for CD ASAP. Your husband will also need to let his parents and siblings know that they need to be screened as well. Unfortunately, you can't MAKE them get tested or convince them that they need to follow a GF diet, but at least you will have given them some medical information that their doctor will WANT to know!

Depending on how severe your husband's intestines have been affected, it may take 1-2 years for them to completely heal on a GF diet. Our daughter's bloodwork numbers were back to normal levels after a year (her pre-GF numbers were off the charts). Celiac Disease is a disease of malabsorption, so it isn't surprising that your husband has other vitamin/mineral deficiencies as well.

If you have any questions about CD, please feel free to contact me - our youngest daughter was diagnosed with CD in April 2008, and I was found to have it as well. I just got diagnosed with MG, but it appears to be a very mild case (so far) - I think that my being on a GF diet for the past two years has been very beneficial.
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote