View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi LoveFamilypets,
I've had 7 sympathetic lumbar blocks..
The first one two years ago gave my a whole morning of relief! it was so great, and then I felt the pain return..
The next four warmed up my leg but didn't give me any pain relief..
The 6th one was a terrible experience..my ex P.M. doc missed the spot so she removed the needle and reinserted another needle to try again..My back spasmed unbeliebably...awful..plus it caused a terrible, terrible burning flare that lasted for 3 or 4 days!!

The last one I had was at a university teaching hospital and they added some clonodine to the mix..I was sooo hoping that this would make a difference, but the block only warmed up my leg a couple of degrees and caused a burning flare for a couple of days...So I think that's it for blocks..sadly, because I had such hope that they could help.

Last week I had what is called a popliteal block..it was done behind the knee ..
This, too, caused a burn flare and didn't help!!
I wonder why blocks help some and give them great relief, while others like myself, experience burn flares!!

I had been getting injections into the nerves in my foot monthly (4 shots into 4 different nerves...this was done up until last december...even though these flared up my foot for a day or so, they did bring more flexibility to my foot and ankle and took away some of the weird, frostbitten sensation in my toes....
I might do these again...not sure though!

I wish your doctors hadn't treated you that way when you told them you had pain after the block.....they should know blocks can cause a flare-up..
The doc who administered my popliteal block last week told me that creating a flare is one of the risks of the blocks....

Good luck to you..I hope something works for you and gives you some relief..don't give up searching!!
hugs from Hope4thebest
hope4thebest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (06-21-2010), Kakimbo (06-17-2010), loretta (06-16-2010)