View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Latest Update.......not so good. Please continue to pray:

Isaiah 42:6-8, "I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open the eyes that are blind, to free the captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols."

Well yesterday was a tense and trying day but He never left us alone. God continues to remind us that Claire's life is in His hands and no other. She had some complications from sedation yesterday and her vocal chords closed off her airway causing spasms. The doctor kept her oxygen going but warned us that if the spasm did not stop he would have to paralyze her and put her on life support until the medicine left her system. Praise be to God, He saved her and she came out of it with no side effects or future problems.

We also met with her oncologist around noon and talked about the stage of Claire's cancer and treatment plan. Right now she is stage 3 of Neuroblastoma, risk still uncertain.

Please, people of God, pray for Divine wisdom for Claire's doctors. There is a whole team of doctors being consulted at this time because they have never seen a case like Claire's. There is nothing to compare it to and so they aren't sure whether to treat her as intermediate or high risk. Her tumor just barely crosses the mid-line of the body. The amplification is also unclear. This means that the cancer is barely aggressive, but they still cannot determine. They are waiting to hear from COG (Children's Oncology Group) with their biology study and numbers. This will help them decide what to do.

The difference in intermediate and high risk treatment is significant. The concern is that if they undertreat her, they run the risk of the cancer coming back with a vengence. However, the risk and side effects from high-risk treatment are much greater.

The factors they are considering is that #1 she is completely a-symptomatic. She has nocomplications from this cancer whatsoever. #2 It has not spread anywhere else in her body even though it is "aggressive". #3 Her MNYC amplification # is between 5-8. The cut off is 8 for high-risk treatment. #4 The tumor is just crossing the midline of the body by a couple of mm.

The oncologist does not feel comfortable moving forward with the high-risk treatment until they hear from COG and another group of doctors they are consulting.

We will keep you updated as soon as we know.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (06-16-2010), Darlene (06-17-2010), DejaVu (06-18-2010), ewizabeth (06-16-2010), hollym (06-18-2010), Jodylee (06-25-2010), SandyC (06-16-2010), soxmom (06-16-2010)