View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Melanie, I'm so sorry. I personally think this guy is wrong in his assessment and the WAY he is thinking. As if every single symptom you have HAS TO add up to MG. Like you can't have more than one thing going on. B12, thyroid problems, electrolytes being off and a boatload of other things can cause twitching - as can muscle weakness. Even surges in hormones can cause twitching muscles.

Alice hit the nail on the head with that. Doctors often dig in their feet and can't admit they are wrong.

I think it's ridiculous to say (as is written up in all MG books and said by MG experts) that the SFEMG is the "gold standard" for diagnosing MG - after a clinical diagnosis points in that direction - and then say that it isn't enough to diagnose. What a bunch of hypocritical cowards. Sorry, I'm not in the mood today to mince words. It's like they are all so afraid of a lawsuit that they aren't willing to commit to anything.

I know some of you guys love this doctor but that doesn't mean he can't be wrong. For a doctor to "proclaim" that someone doesn't have a disease without looking the patient over himself first is unethical. What's written down on paper is often not the whole picture and a neuro has to assess a patient himself/herself to really know what is going on.

Shortness of breath that worsens after exertion doesn't fit?!!! What the H@!! Then I guess fatigable weakness doesn't fit MG either. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone who loves Dr. Nicolle but this is ridiculous.

Were you on drugs when you had the EMG? Was it a regular EMG or a SFEMG? Was it done on the same muscles as your positive SFEMG? Comparing apples to oranges does no good with EMG's either.

Sometimes going to more than one "expert" is not a good thing. They don't want to, or should I say "dare," step on each other's egos.

Melanie, I'm sorry you were treated in this way. You deserved better. It reminds me of how Lucy always pulled that football out from under Charlie Brown. Is that how doctoring should happen? Nope. Hang in there.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote