View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I hope your husband came through the endoscopy okay. Since he has MG, he may need to sip on cool water after the endoscopy because it can make the throat muscles weaker. He should be careful of how and what he eats so as not to choke.

Celiac is probably to blame for most of the other symptoms and test results. If his celiac went undiagnosed for a while, he was not absorbing nutrients for long enough to be deficient in lots of things, including amino acids and albumin (which I bet is low). A B12 deficiency causes a small fiber neuropathy. He would need to take sublingual (under the tongue) B12 for months if not forever. He can't get it from his foods right now and B12 is essential for all cells in the body. It will also help heal the neuropathy. The sooner he takes it the better. I had a severe B12 def. back in 1997-99 and only the sublingual B12 helped, not the shots. The liver has to convert the cyanocobalmin in shots to methylcobalamin before the body can use it.

Have your doctors talked about liquid supplements? They may absorb better than pills. Having protein shakes will help; they are packed with amino acids. When I could have dairy, I liked Whey Factors protein mix (double chocolate). I got it from www.iherb.com because they have reduced pricing on all supplements. Some people really like the Jarrow sublingual B12. I like Source Naturals too. 5 mg. twice a day or more of it would be good.

Gabapentin/Neurontin has been known to cause MG and make it worse. Did your doctors know that? I realize that he is probably in pain but there are other things less harmful that can help. The lidocaine patches can help but they can make MG worse too!!! Putting socks on the feet and gloves on the hands can really help too. Not having foods that have either added or naturally occurring MSG will help (tomatoes, cheese, legumes).

Celiac would NOT interfere with IVIG. First, Celiac is IgA antibodies. MG is IgG antibodies, that's why IVIG helps. And they give it to him in an IV, not orally. It would go to work in the bloodstream, not the GI tract. It would be excreted via the GI tract but that doesn't interfere with bloodstream absorption. I have to wonder what their reasoning was.

Eosinophil being high could be from lots of things, including an undiagnosed allergy.

I think you need to have an internist and MG expert re-evaluate the drugs he is on. Some of them could be causing the MG to be worse, as I've said, and they might not even be absorbed!!!! If he can't absorb nutrients from food, he is probably not absorbing the drugs. Liquids or gels or anything else would be better. And drugs can become toxic under these conditions. Have they checked his liver function?

Since he has MG and celiac, watch out for signs of a thyroid problem. Either Graves or hypothyroidism.

Why is he taking Lunesta? Is it because he has trouble sleeping due to the pain? I think your husband is in the midst of a potential drug cocktail interaction. Seriously, doctors often throw these prescription drugs at problems without even thinking what harm they might be doing. Yes, he may need some but all of them? Acetaminophen may interact with a drug he is taking but sometimes a regular dose of that is enough (plus the lidocaine patch) for paresthesia pain. Mine was so bad I wanted to rip my feet off.

I hope your husband is okay. These guys here are great. If you need any more info on MG or Celiac (the forum here is great for that!), please ask anything. MG is a tough learning curve but so is celiac. There are a lot of good resources out there now for food options. Teresa gave you some good info. Celiac is like a B12 deficiency, how long it takes to recover is about how long you've had it.

Take care.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote