Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Beans Beans are not the amazing fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionab View Post
Well, made it 5 hrs. before had to break down and resume pain meds. Stopped at grocery store on way home and bought a jar of prunes...I bought some other groceries so I could hide the jar of prunes in amongst them. That's one of the main complaints I have about narcotics - the dang constipation that goes along with it. Anyone have any ideas on dealing with constipation...lovely topic, I know

Vanna...any post surgery tips for those of us who get to have two?

Thanks
Hi Fiona-

During childhood I learned a rhyme that went Beans, Beans, the amazing fruit, the more you eat the more you toot..... Despite its seeming distasteful subject matter, constipation is reality for patients prescribed opiates. It is just guaranteed to occur. I have it. It feels awful. It is a constant struggle. Pain borne inactivity, to the extent we succumb, combined with opiates will plug definitely. Then I discovered the true amazing fruit.... prunes.

Now, I did not want another pill or medicinal remedy this time, because I have had enough of those, so I resorted to dried fruit, prunes and apricots. I eat much of them and they usually work, keeping the Mark plumbing functioning. Right now is not one of those times, and it feels yucky ; however, those blessed natural remedies in fruit help me. I rely on them. Sure, at first I felt sort of "embarassed" and soon I decided after a while... SO WHAT, this works. We buy them by the bags full at the grocer and no one cracks a grin at the checkout. It is just part of life.

I hope your plumbing works well with prunes added. I really do.
Your friend in constip, [there is no icon for constipation]
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (06-17-2010)