Thread: Duodopa
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default follow the $$$

Yep, don't want anyone to lose any money here...also I think there is a huge disinclinication to approve something that may cost more than a few $$$ (like drugs) when so many need it-if this were approved, or rather, WHEN it is finally approved, think how many people will be lining up to get it...and how much that will cost social security (most PDers are on medicare, medicaid), etc.

I recently attended a doctor's appt. for my mom, who thankfully does not have PD....we were discussing a treatment for incontinence and the doc told us flat-out that it wasn't, but should be, approved for fecal incontinence since there were "thousands of studies" showing it worked just as well for that as it did for urinary incontinence....the holdup? Money, he said they don't want to approve it for fecal incontinence because it'll increase costs to "the system", all the seniors will be lining up for the procedure (apparently a very small credit-card sized implant in the spine that eliminates (ha!) the problem). Oddly, in lieu of this unavailable (or rather, we can have it, but pay for it ourselves (no can doo, sorry, couldn't resist that one either!) treatment, he recommended biofeedback with physical therapy for the problem. Don't know how many people here have this problem as part of the PD, but thought I'd mention it. And yes, I was shocked to hear this traditional doctor recommend biofeedback coupled with physical therapy for this.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote