View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomolecular View Post
I disagree with one point about the depression being ONLY caused by the nutritional deficiencies associated with gluten problems.
I just want to point out, for anyone new, that I think Claire was pointing out was that it is POSSIBLE that the only symptom of gs MIGHT be depression.

It's a great point and a great post for new people who come here, so that they can consider the possibility that diet intervention is worth a try. Shoot! If it works for some people (and it does), it's such a thrill to not need meds anymore (or not so many meds - depending upon the case). And they may even be clearing up issues that they didn't realize they had... until the issues remit. We had that with ear wax... weird.

Quote:
This inflammation can relate back to the nutritional deficiencies but I think it should be seen as a speratate issue.

I think malabsorption is not the only problem. Of course the infllammatory response may be mitigated by the right nutritional support, but that inflammation can cause problems in the brain. I am not sure what the difference in symptoms would be from having brain inflammation vs. having some vitamin b deficiencies.

But I think this problem is a bit more complex than just malabsorption starting the brain.

But taking just vitamin b6 is not enough for brain chemistry to imporve. Niacin is also needed to help improve serotonin levels.
These are all great points to consider also though and I don't want to detract from their validity either.

I must say that when we supplemented B6 (while making our house gf, of course), that was one of our biggest leaps forward. We did add niacin later but did not experience any forward motion in moods but did have other signs that maybe we were short in niacin.

Everybody's chemistry is a little different, so it's important to tailor things to yourself. There's not really a textbook answer, but everyone here has given some great tips on where to start and what to think about.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 02-03-2007 at 10:22 AM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote