View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue More Celiac stuff

One thing that your hubby may find is that he will sleep MUCH better once he is on a GF diet - I know that I certainly did, and I saw the effects of it almost immediately. Also, he may find that he doesn't need to take as much of the Wellbutrin after a while, either. It is amazing how much better a person's body can feel once their body starts absorbing ALL of the nutrients that they are taking in!

About kids - our youngest daughter has Down syndrome, and they have a 1-in-8 chance of developing CD in their lifetime. If you look at the laundry list of complications that are seen in people with untreated Celiac Disease and the health issues that people with DS have, they are virtually identical. Our daughter was 6 when she was diagnosed (with NO symptoms, I might add - she has a WONDERFUL pediatrician who happens to have a stepdaughter with DS and CD). She had a pot belly, which we were told was due to low muscle tone - very common in DS kids, but also something that is seen in people with undiagnosed CD. Her legs were also starting to bow, which we realized later was due to osteopenia (soft bones) - a symptom of untreated CD.

She started growing taller after she was on a GF diet - short stature is another symptom of untreated CD, and many people with DS are VERY short. I'm also quite short, and after I was diagnosed with CD, I realized that I have probably had it most of my life, but I never had the "typical" symptoms of CD. Of course, now they are finding that only 3% of people with CD have those "typical" symptoms....

After starting on a GF diet, her pot belly went away, her muscle tone improved greatly, and her bones straightened out. Interestingly enough, in Belgium during WWII, many children were showing signs of rickets (pot belly, bowed legs). There was a bread shortage, and most of them actually got "better", since they weren't being exposed to gluten.

Anyway, that is why it is SO important to be sure that if you have kids you have them screened for CD. Many of these problems can be corrected/avoided if it is caught early. Unfortunately, there are some things that can't be reversed, so you want to prevent them if it is at all possible.

You certainly won't HURT them if you just go ahead and turn your kitchen into a GF zone - and it makes it MUCH easier for the whole family if they aren't always having to worry about which foods/pots & pans/utensils/etc. are "safe" (and this is coming from someone whose home-for-the-summer, non-GF kids are driving her absolutely BATTY with the food that they bring in from outside of the house......).

Happily, Betty Crocker has several GF mixes available now, most Chex cereals are now GF (except, obviously, their wheat version!), and General Mills has plans to roll out a GF Bisquick mix later this summer. Many grocery stores will order GF foods for you, and you can deduct the additional cost of GF foods on your yearly income taxes as a medical expense with a Celiac diagnosis (if you itemize your deductions and you exceed the percentage - which we never do....).
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote