View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiesmama View Post
I want to know if anyone has info on long term side effects of my son's meds for ts. He takes clonidine, topomax and daytrana patch. It seems like that is alot of meds for a ten year old. I am concerned about him having a happy, healthy adulthood. We have a ppo, should I ask for any specific testing? He has never had any tests. Should I ask for a heavy metal test? Or can I buy one? I am looking into alternative meds if anyone has any advice!!!!::
My son is 10 years old also and was dx with TS at the age of 6. He has been treated with Clonidine and Abilify without any improvements. He stayed "drugged" and has experienced increased weight gain and (I believe) that Abilify has made the facial tics even more severe. If you research Abilify, you'll find that out too. I regret ever putting him on the medication and now have removed him from all meds. I'm currently trying magnesium suppl. due to the overwhelming testimonies I've read on the internet regarding the link between TS and mag. deficiency. Also, diet plays a huge role in our overall health. I'm eliminating all dairy products to see if maybe it's a food allergen causing or triggering his tics. If you decide to go this route, I would suggest eliminating only one food type at a time. Do a little research and always talk to your pediatrician before starting or eliminating anything but, I will keep a post on here as to how he responds to this treatment. Hope this helps.
Tiny is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-10-2010)