View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, I did "work" my way up to that dosage, per my doctor's instructions (see my first post in this thread). I've definitely felt the improvement in my eye muscles, as well as my other muscles (which I didn't realize were so affected!). I'm taking it 3-4 times a day while awake, as needed - which seems to be every 4 hours or so.

I'll be seeing my doctor again tomorrow to see where we go from here, and she did mention that we might want to try the timed-release dosage to see what happens. I don't know if she will want to do a thymectomy or not, but if she does, I'll be OK with that - it certainly sounds like it can help!

The EMG numbers appear to refer to something called "polyphasics" - 1-2+ is considered "normal", 3-4+ is considered "incr", whatever that means. The report says, "EMG of the right upper extremity demonstrated some increased polyphasics/was suggestive of minimal nerve root irritation in the C6 distribution".

I think I may be the one referring to this as "mild" MG - the doctor said that my eyelid isn't nearly as droopy as most people that she usually sees, so it has been hard for her to tell if anything is helping. It was really a fluke that this was caught when it was, but I am glad that I was able to find out about it before things got really bad. Of course, I know that this can get worse, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time and hope for the best.

I guess the good thing is that our family knows how to "deal" with an unexpected diagnosis - when our daughter was born 9 years ago, we certainly weren't expecting her to have Down syndrome (that's her picture by my name - taken by her oldest sister when she was 18 months old), and we didn't know what the future was going to hold. Now we know that we just have to take things as they come, and we will handle it just fine....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote