View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy New Member Recently diagnosed w/RSD - NEED HELP!!!!!!

Hi, I am new to this forum, and basically new to forums in general. I have never done this, although I have been in Technology since 1978. I am a 57 grandmother who use to be very active, getting up at 4:30 every morning to workout for 40 minutes. I have a very stressful job in Infrastructure Technology, working around 50-60 hours a week. Last March, 2006, I was involved in a car accident. A lady cut me off and we collided. My beautiful new 300z convertible had around $16,000 worth of damage. Anyway. my pain revealed that I had Spinal Stenosis. Never had pain down my leg before, always only disk and muscle (not to say this isnt painful also). Well, I was told that I needed surgery. Postponed till I couldnt walk anymore. Wasnt a candidate for epidurals. Had 5 level lumbar laminectomy L2-S1 on Oct 30. Spent 8 days in hospital (was told it would only be 2). Had some many complications. Was told by surgeon that 2 weeks after surgery I can start walking and getting back to work. So I went for a short walk, and all hell broke out. That's when the excruating nerve pain started in my right thigh. I get very sharp cutting pain (like Edward Scissorshand is having fun), along with painful pins and needles, and burning. I cant even touch my thigh without causing more pain. Couldnt do anything. Went back to surgeon, took MRI, was told that his surgery was successful, didnt know why i was in pain, go figure it out myself, BYE BYE. Then went to Neurologist, took EMG (THE most painful test ever, had more pain after). He told me I had RSD, and dont get depressed, and get pain management and pt. Went to Neurosurgeon, told me that I should of had only a 2 level surgery, my recovery time should have been 6-8 weeks of doing nothing, I didnt need more surgery (every time I twisted or bent I get a very sharp cutting pain in my leg and then cant walk for a day), had chronic pain, go seer pain management and pt. So now I'm getting pain management (on Lyrica, Kadian, and Percocet). Had 3 series of 6 nerve blocks, all which left me in more pain. Tried PT, which caused me more pain also. Its 3 months now. I was released to work from home. Dont know how I'll be able to go back into the office. Cant walk from meeting to meeting. I am an A type personality that bounces off walls.

So, basically, HELP!!!! Has anyone been in my situation, any suggestions? I really dont know where to go from here. I guess I am getting depressed from all this. I'm not use to just sitting or being in so much pain. I was the one who yelled when people smoked, or took the elevator. My daughter is having my 3rd grandson (she lives in San Diego), and I CANT go there to help and see him. Both of my other 2 grandsons (10 and 4), I saw them at 5 minutes old. I held them, I helped out. Now I cant. This is NOT FAIR!!!!!!

lauriegraham
View Public Profile
Send a private message to lauriegraham
Find More Posts by lauriegraham

Today, 09:02 AM
lauriegraham is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote