Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink Info

Hello,
I have been researching this and visiting with docs for the past 15 months since I had my accident and the best info I have found is online. PCS can wait a whole week to reveal itself not just 72 hours. There are many symptoms the most common and longest lasting one being a headache. Usually symptoms last only up to 6 months, but if a second concussion is sustained in while the injured person still is suffering from PCS then the symptoms could last years. Everything I have found says not to take any meds for this condition because they don't fix the problem, they just mask it. Also, pain meds actually make the headaches worse. The most promising treatment seems to be a very slow progression from no exercise to more and more physical activity. With many PCSers it is painful to do anything besides sit; any activity sparks a new extreme headache. But research shows that if the progression is taken slowly it can strengthen the body.
Now, my disclaimer is that I am just a 21 year old who has had to deal with PCS for the past year and a half. I have spoken with six docs had two CT's and an MRI both of which came back clear. The docs told me next to nothing but I wanted to know so I have done literally hours of research online to find out what the heck is up with my head.
Don't give up, most PCS patients heal within 6 months and if not then we learn to cope and life ain't that bad.
Good luck!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote