View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannafeelbettr View Post
Fiona, I had chosen to get my lumbar implant done first, since cervical was more difficult to heal from (due to an extra incision and stiffness in neck). and I also reasoned I wanted relief first for my legs since that is a 'larger amount of area' to cover. PM doc and I felt best to schedule the procedures 6 weeks apart. That worked really well

As for post op care. You have to lie flat on your back for the first 2 weeks to allow scar tissue formation to start enveloping the leads into place. Try your best to respect that - and that your family/caretaker respect that as well. you will most likely need your Rep to reprogram things for you at your follow-up because the 'true' stimulation is more accurately felt after the swelling goes down.... especially true for the cervical. So don't be upset if the stimulation doesn't feel over the moon in the initial weeks.

As for location of the implants, I had both put in my right/left lower back/hip area. For the cervical, the doctor had to give me an extra incision to route the leads due to the extra distance. It is a decision I am very happy with because.... believe it or not, you subconsciously 'protect' that implant 24/7, and with both implants located close by, that is one area I need to be protecting instead of two!

As for the constipation, Mark is right on about them prunes! But since I can't even force feed them to myself (yuck), I've found great methods that work for me. One is to take a magnesium supplement (500mg) -- magnesium helps your muscles to relax; and your bowels too. Even saw a segment on Dr.Oz about it. Another thing that works is in the morning before I eat, warm water and lemon juice! Within a half hour...... works like a charm
More fluids help overall, warm fluids have been a longtime stimulant over the years for many ppl, hot coffee, tea, plain hot water, etc. Can also do stewed fruit, dried fruit covered with boiling water, or cooked and allowed to cool. can also try warmed fruit juice
When I was a MUCH younger nurse we would mix 2 tablespoons full of milk of magnesia, 4 oz of prune juice and 2-4 oz of hot water for patients in dire straits, rarely failed BUT be prepared for exploision!!
z
pooh_ac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (06-17-2010), Rrae (06-17-2010)