View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Hi, Optimumeg

You said this:

"There are like 11 different serotonin receptor subtypes and different antidepressants work on a different mix of the receptors. That and also the receptors downregulate anyways."

Now (not that I understand everything you said), but I gather I can translate this into the following:

"There are 11 places in the brain that react differently to different anti-depressants. So some parts of Alan's brain are reacting to the Zoloft, and the other parts of Alan's brain are reacting to the Cymbalta.

Now the part about receptors downregulate anyways, (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS).

Care to elaborate???

much hugs.

melody

I JUST LOOKED UP SEROTONIN SYNDROME: (by the way, Alan takes 100 of the zoloft (in generic form) one time a day and 60 of the cymbalta (one time a day).

Serotonin syndrome is a rare, but potentially life-threatening adverse drug reaction that results from intentional self-poisoning, therapeutic drug use, or inadvertent interactions between drugs. It is an iatrogenic (i.e. caused by medical treatment) toxidrome. It is most commonly referred to as serotonin syndrome, however, serotonin toxicity or serotonin toxidrome (from toxic + syndrome) is more accurate as it reflects the fact that it is a form of poisoning.[1][2]

Serotonin syndrome is not a spontaneous drug reaction, it is a consequence of excess serotonergic activity at central nervous system (CNS) and peripheral serotonin receptors. This excess serotonin activity produces a specific spectrum of clinical findings which may range from barely perceptible to fatal.[3]
It also mentioned the combination of different drugs and foods. talked about tryptophan (so no turkey for Alan I gather).
This stuff obviously didn't concern the doctors but it sure as hell scares the crap out of me. (sorry for the bad words).

I drafted a fax for Dr. Fred. Both Dr. Fred and Dr. Goldfarb are not in their offices today (closed)
Hopefully Alan will run into Dr. Fred at the gym tomorrow.

I shall ask him to have a talk on this with Dr. Fred.

jeez. just more stuff.

But Alan doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms it gave in the article. That much I know.

OH JUST SO EVERYBODY KNOWS ONE THING ABOUT ALAN, HE NEVER TAKES ONE SIP OF ALCOHOL.
NEVER......Even at a wedding, or party. He used to drink as a young man and I'm married to him for over 26 years, and he only drank at one party, got deathly drunk and never did it again

So no alcohol at any time.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 02-03-2007 at 01:33 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote