View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI Jonathan,
Thanks for your post and your willingness to inform us about a posible form of treatment that unfortunately is out of the mainstream of available treatment.

I pursued a neurofeedback consult on my own and was given an overview of a treatment plan. (I have RSD primarily in my left limb which has crossed over to my right, and possibly creeping north to my hips and lower back)

I asked my P.M. doc to request it (mine is a worker's compensation case) and of course it was declined. We wrote many letters to the ins. compnay and finally they agreed to ten sessions.

Then I discovered that the neurofeedback treatment required a test ( a mapping of the brain with electrodes) which costs about $1000.
The ins. denied this very important part of the treatment, as with this test, they know exactly which part of the brain to target. Otherwise, they said, it's like groping in the dark without a specific target.

They also said it would take at least a year of weekly sessions for the treatments to present long lasting benefit. The weekly sessions are costly and the WC ins. wouldn't approve the mapping test nor further treatments.

I really wanted to try this as I have read much about the neuroplasticity of the brain and how it can be altered and corrected, and ultimately gets to the real issue of the pathology.

My questions are:
What would be the minimum amount of treatments to provide long term correction?

Is the brain mapping test really necessary? (I think it's called a QEEP)
or can sessions be done without it? How would the technicians know what specific part of the brain to target without it?

I know each individual is different with different needs, but what would be the minimum amount of sessions needed to affect a permanent change in brain pattern?

Gi gong, Tai Chi, yoga and meditation are all ways to quiet the sympathetic nerve..they have been practiced for hundreds of years. It is sad that our culture sometimes looks at these as 'new age' and therefore not taken seriously. Fortunately, our western medicine practices are beginning to recognize and accept the benefit of these practices as they are backed with much scientific evidence.

Thanks so much for bringing up these important topics and sharing the uplifting positive results!!
Hope4thebest
hope4thebest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote