View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi everyone,

When I last posted here a couple of months ago, I mentioned my vitamin d levels were very low (at 5 with a normal range of 50-80), I had slightly elevated calcium levels, low b12, b6, b9 and elevated homocysteine. After talking with my docs (and being informed about activated forms of b6 and b9 here!!) I began taking daily vitamin d capsules at 5000 iu and daily b12, b6, b9 tablets (the activated form) in hopes of increasing my vitamin d levels and lowering the homocysteine ones. Well my b12 levels have increased ever so slightly (still below normal though) but unfortunately my homocysteine does not seem to want to respond to the b6, b9, b12 and has increased even more these last few months... The vitamin d is even lower than it was three months ago (at 2 now which is rather mad with all the capsules I’ve taken....), my calcium levels have gone up and now my phosphorus levels have gone up too. The docs seem to think this indicates hyperparathyroidism secondary to the low vitamin d.

To top this off my ferritin levels have crashed, my red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets are down and I’m feeling rather exhausted... The doctor’s plan this time is basically as follows: Epoetin alpha injections to get the red blood cells and haemoglobin levels up, neupogen shots for the white blood cells, interferon to maybe help calm down the misguided immune system that they think is causing all this trouble, oral ferrous fumarate supplements for the iron and if I don’t respond to that iv iron dextran again and injectable vitamin d (I think the shot is called Calcijex though I may be spelling it wrong) to the tune of 600,000 iu to help replenish vitamin d stores. On top of all this they’ve also put me back on heparin as they’re worried the homocysteine elevation combined with my clotting tendencies/history can’t lead anywhere good...

My reasons for posting here at this point are two-fold. One I wanted to ask a question I can’t seem to get a satisfactory response from my doctors about re the vitamin d injections; I read (online but still...) that injectable vitamin d should not be given to people with hypercalcemia (like I have now, granted probably because of low vitamin d but...). Now my docs seem to think that because the hypercalcemia and hyperphosphatemia are due to the low vitamin d, that they will correct themselves when vitamin d stores are replenished but I still wanted to ask if anyone here with low vitamin d (and maybe even with high calcium and/or phosphorus levels?) has had vitamin d injections? And if so, how did it go? And two I wanted to ask if anyone has any idea and/or experience with homocysteine levels that just won’t respond to b6, b9, b12 daily supplementation (the activated forms)?

Thank you for reading this! Hope you're all doing well!

Ziggy
Ziggy7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote