View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma17 View Post
So, I'm new here sorry if I post incorrectly or anything.

But anyway, I'm a high school student, and back in December slammed a car door closed against my head. My mom assumed it was just a bump, but I got worse, ended up in the ER. They said I had a concussion so I started seeing a neurologist. The whole painkiller thing didn't work, and he also tried a course of steroids that didn't do anything. In early February he put my on Topamax, but I just recently got off of that because it made me so spacey. I also hit my head pretty hard again in March which made me feel worse.

The problem I have now is I feel like something is wrong with me because something is still wrong with me. If that makes sense. People just assume that you're supposed to be fine a week after getting a concussion, and I feel like when I try to explain PCS and post traumatic headaches to them they just think I'm full of it. I'm going to go back to the neurologist this summer, but I even feel like he's tired of me. But I'm still getting random headaches or stabbing head pains everyday, and the fatigue is still there. The neurologist mentioned trying a blood pressure medication for the headaches, but I don't know if I can because my blood pressure runs low anyway.

So that was a really long post, but yeah. I guess I just want to find out if this is completely abnormal for me to still be feeling bad.
No, it is not abnormal to still be dealing with PCS issues. My daughter (15) received a concussion back in October 2009. It was probably 4-5 months before cognitively she started to do better. At at about the 6-7 month mark, she started to be less fatigued during the day but still has a lot of trouble getting up in the morning. She needs way more sleep than she used to. She's had headaches off and on every day since she hit her head - though they have lessened in severity and frequency. She was able to start exercising again around the 6.5 month mark without feeling worsening symptoms.

If you are having any issues with your vision, get it checked out. Your optic nerve can get damaged. Vision therapy might be able to help.

My daughter and I both see a NUCCA Chiropractor (google NUCCA for more information). I think it really made a difference in my daughter's headaches and fatigue. After we started doing this, she was able to gradually build up her exercise. Before this, it made her symptoms worse.

Now that summer is here, take the time to rest and recuperate. Hang in there.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote