View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default is the doctor right? my encountr with my new neuro

Recently I had following conversation with my new neuro doctor which went like this after she made the objective medical examination:

Doctor: You have an advanced PD and you are exessively undermedicated.

me : But Doctor I am feeling really good apart from the action tremor which is uncomfortable to some degree. I have a life style suitable to my personality and I am having a good time.

Doctor: You are slow but you seem not to notice it.

me: Doctor, I know that I have a serious disease and I have adapted to it.

Doctor: You are denying your self a good quality of life.

me: but Doctor, I am really scared of L-dopa medication. Can you tell me what length of time it will work and possible side effects?

Doctor: No ..Nobody can tell but we will deal with it when it arises.

me: You mean more drugs.

Doctor: I don't know why you waited 6 months just to see me if you don't accept my medication. I am an expert in PD. (if this is your attidude) you should stick to your family doctor.

(me thinking I have no choice ! There are no option of having another doctor's opinion ..The Canadian health system in Calgary do not provide this 'luxury' and I waited 6 months for the appointment and was scared to loose the system support): ok doctor I have to go along.

The doctor put me on sinemet gradually increasing the dose to 9 of 100/25 a day.

By the way the doctor never smiled during the encounter and left us without saying good by but said she wants to see me in 3 months.
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote