View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default question for single parents who remarried....

Dh2B and I have been together for 3 years, lived together for the last 2 and a half. DD's dad and I split up pretty much before she was born, but kept trying until she was 4 months old before I decided I would rather her see me alone and happy than in a relationship that made me miserable. So anyways...

Her dad has been around... every other weekend and 2 nonconsecutive weeks during the summer. Although I do offer for him to take her more than that, he usually chooses not to because he doesn't feel like making the drive (even though he drives for a living and has no problems taking off and driving to nags head whenever the mood strikes). So anyways, he is more of a fun weekend dad, she gets to do whatever she wants, talk to him however she wants, and they are off to the amusement park or somewhere fun. Which I somewhat understand, if I only saw her every other weekend I would want to do something fun too.

Father's day is tomorrow. So I bought an art kit that had 2 fathers day gifts that she could make. Works out good for me since she has a dad and a stepdad to be. We did those today, and we played all day.

DH2B comes home from work, we are eating dinner and she asked him something and she called him daddy. This has happened before but she usually catches herself and corrects herself. Then after dinner we are playing the wii and she kept calling him daddy. Freaked me out a little as she has never done this, but being as she is 6... I didn't say anything at first but she kept repeatedly doing it.

So I asked her about this new thing, she says well he is my stepdad and he is my all the time dad, so I have decided I will call him daddy. "what about your real dad?" well, i will call him daddy too. So i told her she can call DH2B what she wants, and that is fine but daddy (real dad) might be sad that she is calling someone else his name.

Her reasoning is... DH2B is always here, he helps her with stuff, fixes her boo boos, built her a clubhouse, gives her an allowance and yells at her when she messes up. So he is more her dad than her real dad, but she still loves her real dad.

This is a very deep convo to have with a 6 year old, and I am sure it is a phase and it could be because DH2B's DD is visiting and she calls him daddy... or it could just be something she does to see how far we will let her go with it... i dunno.

Anyone else go through something like this when they remarried? Should I just ignore it until the novelty wears off or should I put a stop to it? Obviously her real dad is not my favorite person and it is true that DH2B is more of a father to her than her real dad has ever been, so on that hand I don't really mind... but if the tables were reversed and her dad was dating someone and she decided to call them mom, i know how it would make me feel so like it or not I do have to take her dad's feelings into consideration.

I am not spoiled!
legzzalot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote