View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Dear IMARK3000

I, too, have seen a University doctor and have been less than satisfied with his suggestions. Like you, I also understand that it is the training received to treat disease and not patients and did not fix blame on him.

I went through a similiar experience. I was sent to a Mayo Clinic symposium to listen to the then director of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. MN. talk about Levadopa or brand name "Sinemet," with a rumored limited usage early on causing an undocumented toxic effect after long term usage as unfounded.

I took his message to heart, and increased my dosage. I ended up in the emergency room, put in a medically induced coma, and had my body flushed of all medication and towins. It was a medically drug induced holiday , in an attempt to save my life. I had dyskenias so severe, my Kidneys stopped functioning because they could not handle the protein entering my system due to the muscles breaking down.

Not all patients have this reaction. Mine was possibly caused due to the fact of my Parkin mutations.

Think hard and educate yourself as much as possible about your condition. I had a DOPA-SCAN (PET) and the test showed severe to moderate progression. I also had a gene test and found out about my genetic mutations. I then went online and searched for my specific mutations, and found research about treatments specific to my illness and found DBS was extremely effective for patients with my specific attributes.

It was a fight to get an neurologist to allow me to have the surgery. I did find one willing to let it be "Up to me." and I had the surgery. That was five years ago, and I have had little progression until this past year.

I am surprised the Doctor you saw did not suggest titrating you onto the the Levadopa, as it has a reputation as causing much stomach upset at first.

Good luck with making a decision to treat your illness.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (06-20-2010)