Thread: Mucuna
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm sorry maybe I've not expressed things clearly - my neuro now says I don't have MS, I had a DAT scan which showed low dopamine levels. I am waiting to be tested for Wilson's disease. Have had my thyroid tested several times and it is normal. Why do you think it's early PD? I've had symptoms for 8 years and vague symptoms for much longer. I would say I have a lot of PD symptoms - bu tsuffer more from stiffness than tremor.

It seems that everyone on here who takes mucuna also takes sinemet. My neuro doesn't want me to start on sinemet as I am so young - I am a single mother to 7 year old twins and I don't want to be suffering the severe side effects of sinemet before I reach 50 - I may have another 30 years ahead of me...

The mucuna I take is blended with 2 other herbs but I know the ratio. It is organic. I don't understand why it isn't working, even if I take 2 heaped teaspoons nothing happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Two things come to mind...

Do you feel 100 % certain of your doctor's diagnosis of MS? What you describe may be very early PD, but your symptoms also fit a lot of other things. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism, Wilson's Disease, or Myasthenia Gravis, etc.? With only having a clinical observation and exam system for diagnosis, you may have to be persistent.

Only reason I question is because there is a rather high misdiagnosis rate and an uncertain doctor will put you on a trial of PD meds like levodopa to further assess you for PD. Levodopa does not work super well for all, but I would think you would notice at least a little improvement with the drug.

With the mucuna, do you know how much you are getting? Is it blended with other herbs or are you taking it separately? Maybe the dosage is off because you should feel something, I would think, if it is truly PD that you have.

I think our biggest champion of Zandopa was Max...read his story here

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ghlight=mucuna

I would be welcoming a second opinion. Also, if you decide to order any Internet based Ayurvedic supplements, please see this article (from JAMA) on toxic metal content of some herbals used for Ayurvedic principles.
trixiedee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote