View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Now I'll tell you how I did my own versions of TrP therapy.

I suggest that you be checked out for any other serious spinal problems, broken bones, tumors etc -before you decide to try any of this.

I rounded up a tennis ball, a golf ball, dog ball , finger/thumb - any thing that would fit where I needed - to get to the trigger point .

I even bought a Pressure Pointer tool to get at some of the many small ones in my upper back. But the hard wood ball ends were not that comfortable..They may have changed it.

I worked on TrPs and my stretches {mainly Sharon Butler TOS program stretches} quite a few times a day since I was off work anyway.
{work injury}

You need to keep hydrated with clear fluids during this time.

Keeps tissues lubricated , reduces any sticky tissues that might be a factor, and it helps flush out the toxins that are released with the TrP work, massages, and PT/DC therapy. { in case they forget to mention that part}

Generally I would do some mild warm ups or have a hot shower in the morning to get me loosened up.

Then I would start with the tennis ball against the wall or down on the floor rolling it around until I hit a very tender/sore spot.

Stay on the muscles and don't put any heavy direct pressure on the spine while doing this.

That sensitive spot is the trigger point, it will probably feel like a small knot in the muscle.

I did have TrPs in my scalenes & SCM but those I left to a professional as the main arteries and some very small bones are in the neck/throat areas.

Mainly I had to focus on my upper back, but some were in the pec/chest muscles as well as between the ribs in the rib cage.

after locating a spot I'd press into it with the ball or whatever tool would fit best.
hold the pressure for 20+ seconds or so until it softens and the tissue gives - plus the soreness should also fade away at this time.
Don't over do the pressure if it really hurts your body will fight the release.

after you get done do some stretches of that location - helps smooth out any left over restrictions.

Then after I was all done each time I would lay out on floor or bed - in the "corpse pose" as they call it in yoga.
http://www.nshouseofyoga.com/Savasana%20Nancy.jpg

This is when you do the relaxation techniques, deep diaphragm breathing, and also use this time to think of good things and positive thoughts.
If you have some spa sounds or relaxing music this is a good time to listen to it.
I would stay like this 20 mins or more at times. 3-4 x a day too.

I read somewhere , have to find it again for posting - but it said you cannot resolve a muscle spasm completely if trigger points are present.
I'll add that and more as I find good info.

Last edited by Jomar; 05-07-2023 at 04:25 PM. Reason: updated
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
HeadHurts (07-31-2012)