View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Noise Sensitivities -- Nervous System Overwhelmed

A Warm Hello to All!

I imagine this topic would "fit" under many different headings here.
I had done a search and found I had participated in a thread on this topic in a different category about 11 months ago.

I am interested in discovering any nutritional/vitamin/supplement approaches to managing this problem. This aspect was not covered in the thread I had mentioned.

It's a big problem for me almost anytime; yet, it is much worse in the summer when we have to run air conditioners, fans, dehumdifiers, etc.
I really do not do well with the noise.

My noise sensitivity increases with other symptoms, currently triggered by heat/humidity. Fatigue/weakness increases from the heat/humidity. Nerve pain flares, muscles jump and twitch, tingling increases, myoclonus starts (jerks), severe muscle spasms start, vison changes, cognition is slowed, etc.
I cannot function in the heat/humdity at all. I get far too weak to stand for long, far too weak to lift a full glass of water, etc.. I do not have enough enough strength to even use my keyboard.

If I stay "cool," I have more strength and can function better.

Yet, the noise becomes intolerable. A simple air conditioner irritates my nervous system. After awhile, I cannot take it! Yet, I have to have it cool.
After a period of time, the noise will start to add to the pain, too. It feels like total sensory overload.

This is not a new issue for me. It has been a part of the whole picture for me for over 20 years now. Yet, as time goes on I find this more difficult to solve. My doctors are always willing to give me anticonvulsants to quiet the muscles/myoclonus and/or muscle relaxants (spasms), and they will prescribe more. They never hesitate to prescribe anything due to the severity. I simply cannot tolerate most of what is prescribed and many meds start an autoimmune type of a reaction with me, worsening the whole picture.

I was able to wean myself down on the number of meds I am using. My doctor was glad I did this, even though he did not suggest it at the time; he could see was I better than I had been on all of the meds. I am, overall, much better off for this. I am looking for any newer info. on calming the nervous system in alternative ways.

I did just obtain some Ionic Fizz Magnesium, named "Natural Calm" and am going to switch from Slow-Mag to this for awhile to see if it may help.

I have a nephew with a sensory integration conditon. His issues with sound, and mine, are now very similar. I did not have these issues when I was young, at all. Mine came with neurological illness later on. I had started to look at some of the supplements used for sensory integration issues, ADD, tics, etc., online.

There is a great deal of info. Lots to read and to sort. I am finding it very hard to focus with the noise and the symptoms. I am wondering if anyone can point me in a specific direction? Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
~DejaVu
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NeuroNixed Craig (06-23-2010)