View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap5 View Post
Hi,

If anyone has had spinal fusion surgery (L5/S1 specifically) can you let me know how your post operative recovery went when you first got home after being discharged from the Hospital? How much assistance was required of a Family member and how long before you were able to handle every day tasks in the home. Preparing food, general cleanup etc. How long before you were able to drive a car again, things like that.
My fusion was a bit different - I am fused T4-pelvis but I think the recovery would be similar. When you first get home, you will need assistance to do just about everything, but you will recover fast. No housework, no bending or twisting. You may require help showering and you may need a raised toilet seat and a grabber. Write down your pill-taking schedule and stick to it meticulously. The drugs will make you forgetful so write down everything that you take, when you take it. Or hand over the responsibility to someone you trust. As you begin to ease off the narcotics, your head will be clearer. I needed help getting out of bed for a day or two but once the improvements started, things got better very quickly. I walked every day, going further and further. This was the only exercise my surgeon would allow. I was told 12 months off work, but I was pretty much good to go at 3 months. I went on holiday at 6 months where I snorkled, trekked, swam and walked for miles. When I got home, I did a large garden renovation. By 12 months I am doing everything I did pre-op except without the pain. Good luck!
topsi4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (07-06-2010)