View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Margarite,

I am surprised that someone has told you that pain meds will make a concussion worse. I have never heard anything like this and I have been researching concussion for more than 10 years. I have bookshelves full of information on mTBI and concussion. I have been aware of concussion issues and the lack of good medical help for concussion since 1971 when I developed a seizure disorder from my concussions.

I take aspirin every morning for arthritis and Tylenol for my head aches.

Amitriptyline is commonly prescribed at small doses (10mgs) with success for head aches from PCS. Ibuprofen is commonly suggested for PCS head aches but should not be taken in conjunction with an SSRI or SNRI.

I currently take a maximum dose of paroxetine for some repetitive thought problems brought on by my concussions. I also take gabapentin to help my body relax so I can sleep. It I don't take the gabapentin, I have a difficulty falling asleep and when I do, I will likely start body twitches that will wake up my wife and sometimes me. Each person's brain will likely respond differently to medications.

The greatest value comes from good nutrition such as B vitamins (B-6 and B-12 are the most important), D3, Omega 3's, folic acid, minimal caffeine and other stimulants, and a good dose of anti-oxidants (E, C, etc.)

Nutrition therapy needs to be a lifestyle. It takes a while to get the improvements but the setbacks can come much more quickly if you stop taking them. I was pointed to nutrition therapy by an M.D. back in 1982. My wife can tell if I stop with my regimen by changes in my moods.

There are only a few doctors in the US who have a good understanding of concussion. Their common understanding is that concussion is wrongly denied as a diagnosis by far too many doctors and that we still have a serious lack of understanding that leaves patients in a dilemma.

The most common false belief is that most concussions will heal completely. They never do. Research has proved this statement. Patients just stop complaining because doctors tend to dismiss their complaints. Just because the patient stops complaining does not mean they have fully recovered.

There is probably more concussion knowledge represented on this forum than at the best hospitals. Combined, we have probably experienced every problem that concussion can cause.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (06-23-2010)