View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Talk about timing!

I was just reading this, Debi. And my answer is "It isn't likely." I say this with conviction because of the very things Sergey brings up in this aticle - that environmental factors and how we treat (or take care of) our bodies has a lot - a WHOLE lot to do with us being vulnerable to diseases.

Now, for a little flex question (I hated those in college).

If this statement is true (and it is), "IF you live long enough, you will get Parkinson's," and one has the LRRK2 gene that may or may not be the cause of PD, does that mean that only those younger than "old" (whatever that is!) that have the gene mutation will get the disease?" I know that is a mouthful, but that's how twisted and confusing the stuff that Sergey is doing can be.

I must reiterate the extreme need to first try to find a test to confirm that one indeed has PD before trying to decrease one's chances of getting it. This is not to say that we shouldn't lead a lifestyle that would hold a myriad of illnesses at bay (e.g. exercise would decrease your chances of getting cardiac disease, etc.).

What Sergey Brin DOES have, however, is the capacity to gather an enormous amount of data - to include past studies - that when analyzed could reveal some astounding findings.

So, I say all of this to say "no" to your question - because if "to cure" is to eradicate the disease, and PD is a normal part of the aging process (depending on when you get it), unless he can turn back time, we will not ever eradicate the disease. "Cure" in our greatest hope is to provide good enough treatments to control the symptoms with the least side effects.

Peggy

Last edited by pegleg; 06-23-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typos!
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote