View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the response mrsD,

My apology for the slow follow up to your comments and questions,
I had attempted a rather long post to follow up and something happened to make me lose the work when I went to preview post, I was out of time and had to give up, and haven't managed to get back until now.

Anyhow...
RE the bi-lateral MP,
My surgeon hasn't had much to say on this, other than acknowledging it's less common. My own theory has to do with being overweight. This was an issue before surgery, when it was evident I wasn't going to fix this (I was gaining rather than losing - my advanced hip arthritis left me unable to exercise much, which I rely on) he agreed to do the surgery with the understanding that complications would be a greater possibility than with a procedure on someone at their ideal weight.
I think it's possible a nerve got compressed on the side I was supported on while the operation took place, and the operated side (the incision - 42 staples! is almost opposite of where I must have been supported) feels like a big knot where I was cut. So I'm sure there may be some compression there as well.

RE Spinal anesthesia,
They attempted to do a spinal on me (as they say they like to do with most cases) for quite a while and failed. They eventually gave up and I was given general anesthesia. Whether the failed attempts could have had an effect on the MP I don't know - but I suppose it's also a possibility.

In more recent times, the MP has been rather stable but constant, with a general sense that it is VERY slowly improving. I have now moved back into a bed for sleeping at night, and have not had any more of the intense stabbing. But I have noticed the sensation of water trickling as you mention, I feel this mostly at night as I try to lay still, and it's quite annoying (and deprives me of some sleep). In the daytime the abrasion-like soreness in the thighs is still there, but at a low enough level that I am able to put it out of my mind as long as I'm busy.

My last follow-up with the surgeon, he agreed that Lidoderm patches might be helpful and gave me a prescription. ( I was shocked at the cost!)
I have since also had follow up visits with my GP, and the cardiologist (who had to give a stress test for clearance for the surgery) - and I explained about the caution suggested in manufacturer info. Neither one deemed the combination of using a beta-blocker and Lidoderm patches to be much of a concern, so I started using them (with an antennae up for possible reaction, of course).
I started with one, cut in half and placed on each side. They didn't seem to either harm or help that much. So I started trying different placements, and have moved to 2 patches total.
I have a relative who is an RN who advised me to keep using them, and I might see better results over time. So, the last few days I've been placing them right on the sides (where I would have been supported, and opposite side right over the incision site). I do not notice any sort of immediate relief - but seem to notice an improvement in later hours after they're off - don't know if this is a placebo affect or a real affect, but I do have a sense that I am improving (very slowly) as I said.

Hopefully others who have had any of these kind of issues may see this topic and chime in, would be interested to hear of others experiences. I'll post if anything changes with me, for better or worse. Thanks to this forum for giving me a chance to chat on this.
DPJACO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote