Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I would define nancys last comment about returning to contact sports very strictly. Most Post Concussion subjects believe they have regained their cognitive skills when they 'feel' like they have. Studies show that this is a false sense of recovery. Only a neuro-psych assessment can determine if all cognitive abilities have returned. An ImPACT Test will give a very simplified assessment, not valid enough to determine 'return to play' condition.

Even a neuro-psych assessment will not be able to diagnose when a subject has recovered to a point where their brain will tolerate another impact without making the brain damage much worse. Studies show that this healing point never comes.

Back in 1970, I suffered an undiagnosed concussion playing soccer. When I started having serious academic problems and some seizure disorder issues, my neurologist only knew enough to tell me two limitations. He said to stay away from any contact sports and an alcohol consumption. Both recommendations were beyond the concussion understanding of the day. He gave me good advice.

My concussions since then happened even though I took precautions to avoid any head impacts. I can't imagine what my symptoms would be like if I had continued to play contact sports.

My next concussion in 1974 was very minor but caused me to have to entirely change my direction in college due to the return of my academic struggles. I had entered college as a honors student after attending a Connecticut high school that had high standards for college prep students.

The challenges I have had with the roller coaster ride of PCS is my main reason for being such a strict poster. The young people with concussion histories will likely follow the same life path if they do not prevent repeat concussions.

I have a difficult time understanding how medical professionals and sports professionals are so willing to let young people continue to put their brains at risk with a return to play. The medical professionals mostly agree that second and third concussions do much more damage with less impact force. Yet, they somehow feel the need to clear an athlete to return to play.

There is a saying.

Mess with me once, shame on you. Mess with me twice, shame on me.

You could paraphrase this to: A first concussion may be an unintended event. Getting a second concussion is a known risk that is accepted.

How someone can intentionally put their brain at risk after experiencing a first concussion is beyond me.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote